Monday, August 16, 2010

Bedford~

Bedford Stadium~

I will keep this post short and sweet, just like the meet.

The 2010 Bedford International Games (BIG 2010) was held in Bedford, Great Britain, a little city about 45 minutes away from where I am staying with Jean Pickering (Shaun’s amazing mother). After a quick drive out to the Bedford International Athletics Stadium, and a nice long warm-up, I was ready for the hammer competition to start.

Going into the BIG 2010, my body felt a ton better. My body had finally adapted to the time change and I was pretty clear on my cues in the ring. As we were called to the Call Room, it looked like the meet was going to be a little shorter than normal, with only myself and two others competing. I was alright with that, because I knew that as long as I stuck to my cues, the hammer was going to fly.

On my first throw the hammer flew out to 68.83 meters/225.6 feet, that put a smile on my face.

I knew that I had more in me, so I kept at it, trying to get the hammer to fly further. I had a pretty consistent series but no throws further than the first. After the meet, I was really happy with how it went, I stuck to my cues and I threw a Euro PR (my furthest throw in Europe).

My goal is to throw as close as I can to my PR while I am in Europe. I believe that I have it in me. I just have to find some meets to do it. I was really close at the BIG 2010, I just have to clean up my fourth turn a little more. I hope to get into a meet on August 24th in France, a meet in Italy on the 29th, and the last, on September 7th, in Poland.

After the meet, I sat and listened to Vėstetinn Hefsteinsson talk about the discus throw, and about the career of one of the best discus throwers in the world, Gerd Kanter. Don Babbitt spoke after Vėstetinn about specific training in the shot put. It is great to hear about the other events and how they are developed through training.

Jean's beautiful backyard~

The day was pretty long but I did not mind, it just ment that I could sleep longer. Today has been a rest day for me, filled with laying in the sun, watching movies and working on a new blog series - where I am going to talk about a great girl that I met at a BHP bbq!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Brit

PS. Be sure to check out my fan page on Facebook, it has a ton of pictures from my travel thus far :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails