Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer fun...just enough to feel like a “normal” person! : )



Ahh, rest and recovery. Just what my body needed.

After the last meet, I was a little hesitant on taking a WHOLE week off. I had just started to really feel the new position I had been working on, and I wanted to get back into the ring and keep hammering at it . : ) But once again, my coaches were right, my body needed the rest and recovery.

Recovery week consisted of time in the sauna, massage, hot tub and lots of stretching. I worked enough to keep my body from going stir crazy at the house. I also did some much needed cleaning and organizing of my room.

Out to see La Roux with friends and family :)

To add to my productive week, I finally figured out when and where I will be staying in Europe. I am going over to Europe on August 6th and will be back home on September 11th. I will be staying in Loughborough, UK with Shaun Pickering. He has been gracious enough to let me stay at his place and train at the training center near by. I am super excited to get to the UK. I love new adventures and I am super excited to compete internationally!

I have 2 hammer meets lined up in Europe, and I am waiting to hear back on a few others. Hans Uurick has been a great help talking to the meet directors for me.

Now some of you may be asking “ Why are you going to Europe?”. Well here is the shortest answer I can give. First, I am not ready to stop competing yet! I feel that I have a few more positions to figure out in the ring this year. Secondly, competing in Europe adds a whole new element to my throwing ability. I have to learn how to adapt! I need to learn how to throw far with no sleep, little food and compete in other types of track venues. I am not saying that I will experience all of these problems at the same time, but I look forward to overcoming any obstacles I may encounter. Being able to adapt to these situations will only add to my “tool belt”, and make me stronger as a thrower. Lastly, I get to see the WORLD. One of the best parts about being a professional athlete is that I get to travel the world. I get to see how the rest of the world lives. I get to eat different food, shop in new stores and see the sights. Now, I am not sure how much I will be able to do of this, but I will try to do as much as I can. I am over there to compete and kick some tail, but I also need some fun time, too.

Until I leave for the other side of the pond, I will be training and working.

This was my first week back and my body feels great. At this point of the season, everything is about quality and not quantity. I am making 20 throws a day. I am lifting twice a week and other than that, I am just staying in shape.

My main focus right now is what I am doing in the ring. I am figuring out what cue will trigger the right position. My coach and his wife will be coming down at the end of the month for a mini- vacation. Lance will also be able to watch me throw before I head off to Europe! I am super excited about that! He has yet to come down and see where I train.

Chloe Rose McCarthy!

Outside of of my sport, life has been pretty simple. Today was a great day for our family. My cousin Shawna had a little girl today! Chole Rose McCarthy! Everyone in the family is super excited and we all look forward to babysitting duties. : )

I hope everyone is having a great summer! Anybody doing anything fun? Any trips planned? Road trip? Enjoy all the adventures that you all may par-take in! Donʼt forget to stop and smell the roses:)


Until next time,
Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails