Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Drake Relays!

View of the stadium from the VIP tents!

I was a little worried about what was going to happen at the 2010 Drake Relays. Last years trip was not the best of situations for a track meet, the rain, cold and wind made throwing your best difficult.

This year was a little different. It was still rainy and windy, but not during the meet! The weather was actually great. I wish I could say the same about my hammer throwing.

I went into the meet with a game plan; 80% first throw, 90% second throw and 100% on my third throw. I really never have a plan regarding what distances I want to throw. I mainly just think about my cues during the throw. My warm-ups went great, and my first throw was great, 80%. But I just kind of stayed at that level for the rest of the meet. I threw 65.30 meters, (214.2') which earned me a first place finish. I was a little disappointed that I only threw 214, and that I could not find another gear, but I did place first, and a win is a win!

After the hammer competition, I was off to watch the rest of the meet. Drake puts on a great track meet. I felt like I was back in Eugene, Oregon, where everyone knows about track and field, and the people so hospitable. The 2010 Drake Relays had VIP tent for the elite athletes full of food and beverages! :) After the meet, it was off to the hotel to get ready for dinner and a night out on the town.

Besides throwing, the other great part about track meets is catching up with all your friends afterward. For dinner, a few of us went to Court Avenue Brewing Company, I got a big bowl of pasta that was very delicious! After dinner, we all tried to dodge the rain drops and went next door for some more brews. Lucky for me, my flight didn't leave until the afternoon the following day, so I got to enjoy a morning of laying in bed and watching TV.

Overall, this trip was quick and easy. Nothing too exciting happened, but it was great to go to Drake and get used to throwing in the ring that I will be throwing in for Nationals!

This week will also be pretty easy. I am starting a new training cycle, and my body will be happy with the change. Also, I only work two days this week! Friday is going to be Beerfest at PETCO and I am looking forward to hopefully meeting the people behind Supertroopers and Beerfest!

Hope everyone had a great week!

Happy Training,


Britney


Official results posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails