Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hammer season is almost upon us…or me!


It is almost my favorite part of the year, HAMMER Season.

In my training world, there are only 2 two seasons… Hammer season and the off season.

In the off season, I concentrate on the technical aspects of my throws, practicing over a hundred throws a week with heavy weighted hammers. The off season is also where I TRY to put on some muscle and build strength in the weight room. Focusing on building a good strong base for the hammer season.

During the hammer season I start to back off on the amount of throws I take, reducing the quantity to less than 80 throws per week, and I throw lighter weighted hammers more often. The goal being to transition from strength work to speed and finesse. I also start to use lighter weights to become a little bit more explosive in the weight room.

The 2010 Hammer season is going to kick-off with a little warm-up competition in Eugene, Oregon, called the Oregon Preview. This meet is to see if any new technical problems pop-up. Since I cannot practice the emotions and adrenaline of a hammer meet, this is a good meet to get used to dealing with that kind of pressure.

My coach, Lance Deal, Silver Medalist and American Record Holder in hammer throw, will be there to support and coach me.

The best part is that I will be throwing out of the ring I grew to love while attending the University of Oregon.

The schedule of Track and Field meets for this year can change at any moment, especially if I get into an international meet. Right now, this is what I have planned:

My Favorite Hammer Ring :)


Oregon Preview
March 20th 2010
University of Oregon
Eugene, Oregon

Texas Relays
March 31st - April 3rd 2010
University of Texas
Austin, Texas

Mt. SAC Relays

April 15th-17th
Mount San Antonio College
Ontario, California

Drake Relays

April 23rd - April 24th
Drake University
Des Moines, Iowa

Tucson Elite
May 21st - 22nd
University of Arizona
Tucson, Arizona

Cali Relay: TBA

High Performance Meets Florida: TBA

USATF Outdoor Nationals:
June 23rd- 27th
Drake University
Des Monies, Iowa

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails