Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Diet- Not My Favorite Word!

Always drink your water!


I love food. I love all types of food. If I had my choice,
I would eat sushi for the rest of my life
, with ice cream to finish it off.

Being an athlete, I do need a variety in my food choice. I do eat sushi, just not everyday. I try to stick to a certain meal plan that is specific to what I want my body to do. Since I have started throwing the hammer, I have tried to put on muscle and gain some weight. I do have to admit, I do not try that hard and I am happy with where I am at with my weight. The main reason that I want to stick to my meal plan, is that the plan insures that I am getting a well rounded diet, that I am eating all the fruits and veggies, some grains and lean protein. The other reason that I must stick to the meal plan is that I am pretty lazy when it comes to creating meals. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook and create new meals, but when I am tired from work, training or both, being creative with food is the last thing on my mind.

I don't count calories, I don't look to see how much protein or carbs are in the food I eat. I just make sure that I have a protein, a carb and either a fruit or veggie with every meal. I do splurge and grab an In 'n' Out Burger or have a bowl full of ice cream. I do know that I can not do this all the time, because my body really can't run off of In 'n' Out Burgers and ice cream, especially at the elite level. In order to have enough energy at practice, and to make sure that my body is running off the right fuels, I have to stick to my meal plan. Below is a little snap shot at what I eat on a daily basis. I do switch it up, but when I am lazy, this is what I eat.

Now, there are a few other details that go into diet. I try to pay close attention to what my body is telling me. When I am tried and I know I shouldn't be, it usually means that I am a little low on Iron, so I have a steak that night. When I feel like my body comp. is going up and I don't want it to... or I'm preparing for a photo shoot, I cut carbs (not all, but grains and breads...I will never give up fruit : ).

Lastly, I want everyone out there that reads my blog to know, please don't listen to the fast food commercials, athletes DO NOT eat fast food everyday! Now, we might enjoy it on occasion, but certainly not everyday.


Meal Plan:
  • Breakfast: Egg whites, fruit, toast with peanut butter.
  • Snack: Chocolate milk and granola bar- usually in between throwing and lifting.
  • Lunch: Sandwich with lots of lunch meat, salad, and chips.
  • Snack: Chips and salsa, goldfish or some type of fruit.
  • Dinner: Chicken or steak, potatoes, and veggies.
  • Snack: Cup of milk or yogurt.

My word of advice for everyone out there is not to get stuck in a fad diet. They are pointless! That is why I do not like the word diet. It sounds like one is forcing themselves to eat a certain way. Just eat a well balanced diet. Make sure you eat lots of fruit and veggies, have a lean protein (chicken, turkey, lean steak) and eat whole wheat. If you want to splurge, go ahead, just remember that you can't do it all the time.

Now I am going to have a bowl full of ice cream, it is my splurge day! Happy, healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails